Wednesday 2 May 2012

considering childrenswear

The previous post where I looked into the idea of inanimate humans and dolls made me consider if I actually still want to be designing for womenswear or not. I think that I would actually prefer to design a childrenswear or menswear collection as I have not created either of those before. I usually just design for women as that is the market I know the best, however I would like to try something new for this project because I have the opportunity to.

Childrenswear could relate to the idea of the humans to dolls idea, but I am not sure whether it is relevant to the idea of a human becoming more mechanical and machine-like, as that idea seems too mature for a childrenswear range. I find the designer's who make their children's collections similar to their womenswear and menswear ranges have the most successful garments. The clothing makes the children look more grown up with a higher level of tailoring and quality than traditional mass market apparel. 

The Burberry childrenswear Autumn/Winter 2011 collection shows an obvious progression from their usual aesthetic style. Among the usual winter staples like wool crepe, corduroy and wool, there is a lot of denim, patent leather, cable, cashmere, wool crepe cotton laminate and ottoman felt. Details include detachable collars and hoods, zip off sleeves and cuff straps.



Images from childmode.com
There is a lot to consider when designing for childrenswear including standards of safety and ethics. As I have not fully decided if I would like to develop a childrenwear collection I wanted to know a bit more about the legal side of the industry including the standards so I know how to approach designing. 


Responsible Retailing - BRC Childrenswear Guidelines


Childrenswear needs to meet a wide range of uses. The use will often determine the choices of styling, fabric/material, construction and even colour range. There may also be different concerns according to the age of the child for whom it is intended. In considering styling it is established good practice that there are internal company discussions which cover sizing, cut, design and fashion trend, including the colour, sheerness and pattern of fabrics, and their age appropriateness. Colour, pattern and decoration should be chosen with care. Slogans and imagery (including licensed images and brandmarks) must be age appropriate and without undesirable associations or connotations. Skirt and short length, neck/shoulder line and underwear shape need careful consideration, taking account of the stretch properties of the fabric used and the intended age group. Some styles may need adjustment to ensure the fit is appropriate for the intended age, for example, younger and older versions of the same dress style may need a different neckline. Where styling is based on adult fashion trends these should be interpreted in a way appropriate to the age range concerned. This may result in different choices of cut, fabric or embellishment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment