Wednesday 9 May 2012

designs for a bigger market

There is a lot to consider when designing for a bigger market.


• Price point - Keeping within middle market price range. Ideally the quality of garments would be nearer the high end level while prices would be closer to that of the lower end market. However keeping both of these factors within the somewhere in the middle of these two opposites seems viable. The garments should fit well and last a long time without being too highly priced.
• Lose of quality - While cost cutting I will have to be careful to make sure factors such as manufacture (where and how garments are made) is not negatively compromised to the point where the garment suffers. I want to make sure the fabrics, embellishments and construction are of a high quality.
• Appealing to the masses - I need to make sure that the collection is versatile and appeals to many people's sense of style so that they actually buy garments.
• Be original but be on trend - Research trends so that I appeal to what my target market is wanting to buy.
• My collection should portray an image of quality, versatility, originality, affordability and fashionability.
• Comfort - Garments have to be comfortable and easy to wear. The fabrics need to be chosen very carefully and I have to be sure that they are fit for their purpose. Can you get in and out of the garments, don't forget obvious things like zips.
• Fit - The garments need to be true and accurate to industry sizing. Tailoring gives the garments superior quality as well as superior fit.
• Fashion and style - I need to have a mix of versatile, easy to mix and match clothing with several more statement pieces, that way I will appeal to a broader cliental with varying styles.
• Durability - I need to consider the garment's main purpose, eg. outerwear. I then need to focus on the materials and structure of the garment. Will it be fit for the purpose it was intended. It is most likely my garments will need to be durable in most conditions, such as weather. You cannot tell how your customer will wear the garments, and you cannot simply put 'don't go outside' on a care instructions label. The garment needs to be able to be durable to support the lifestyle of my customers.
• Ethical issues - While considering all of the above, I must also think ethically about how and where my garments are made. I must consider such factors as workers and the environment. Not only because I believe these are important considerations, but also because it is likely my customers value ethical practices too. Even if they do not, having ethical practices my bring in new cliental who support this.


Note
I must remember to test fabrics and ideas, and make samples and prototypes to support any claims I make about my garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment