Wednesday 9 May 2012

synopsis

The following synopsis includes the macro, mood and aesthetic concepts -


My concept for my first collection was about the sewing machine. I focussed on the mechanics of the sewing machine and how sterile and impersonal it can be, contrasted with memories and human interaction around it, making it a much more personal item. 


The collection was heavily influenced by the developed idea of a human morphing into a mechanical machine and the contrast between the two extremes. I found this idea very intriguing and it was interesting to design for. 


I tried to create garments that showed this idea clearly, with the first garments being simple and elegant, and showing the model's figure clearly. While the later garments gained more detail and embellishments and drew the viewer's eye to the mechanics and not the figure.


My refined collection developed from the first collection is going to be for Autumn/Winter 2012 and for the middle to high end markets (a diffusion line). It will be a menswear collection for the 15-25 age range. The refined collection will still have a focus on the sewing machine and the mechanics of the machine, however I would like to focus more on the silhouette of the sewing machine and it's placement in relation to the body. I do not want my pieces to be as statement, instead I would like them to subtly hint that they were influenced by the sewing machine and it's mechanical nature. I want the silhouette and shapes of the garments to relate to the curved and square shapes of the sewing machine. I will try to emulate these shapes within the garments. 


I do not want to have the garments morphing into more mechanical apparel as in the first collection. Instead I would like the garments to be easily interchangeable and wearable for the target market. The customers do not need the whole collection to tell a continuous story as in the first collection, because while the customer is wearing one garment (one part of the collection's story) they will never be surrounded by the rest of the collection and therefore the story has no relevance as it does on the runway. I really hope that my garments can tell enough of a story on their own and appeal to numerous people. I want each garment to be unique and aesthetically pleasing.


I would like to focus on outerwear and jackets with a number of different pants designs so that top and bottom garments are easily interchangeable throughout the collection. This will be much more appealing to the customer. I would like the garments to be of moderate price but be made of warm and practical fabrics.


I don't mind if my garments are on the pricier side of the diffusion market range, as long as they are still affordable to the customer base. I would like the target market to consider my garments to be on trend and a good in season purchase, but I want them to be able to continue wearing the garments for years. I would like the customer to consider my garments as a good investment that will last for years. 


I would like to invert the colour scheme from my first collection. Instead of using whites, creams and greys I would like to use blacks, greys and perhaps a bold colour choice such as a deep purple or blue. I feel that dark colours work better for winter collections and go with other garments better. The added colour will help add interest to the garments and is also keeping up with current colour blocking trend. I feel that purple or blue would be best suited as they work well with darker colours and also relate to the slight space age influences I had in my first collection.


I am continuing to look at the mechanics of the sewing machine but I now have more influencing factors and constraints such as price limits and garment wearability. Instead of having working mechanical detailing I want to look into different embellishments and costume jewellery, which is a lot cheaper and definitely more wearable. 


The customer that I want to wear my garments is a male in his late teens to twenties, who is interested in fashion and trends, and who may read or write fashion blogs. He would want his clothing to be unique and bold. I want the garments to looks like they have been influenced by the sewing machine in their shape and silhouette. I want the jackets to be structured but loose fitting and to be a simple silhouette, with limited amounts of detailing indicating the mechanical aspects of the theme.


In my first collection I used a number of unique material choices, mostly inspired by the 1960s, including worsted fabrics and even metals. For this collection I must think about the customer and I am planning to use more appropriate and wearable fabrics. This means fabrics need to be warm, comfortable, easy-care and durable. I am hoping to use polyester, cotton, wool, nylon and acrylic, including blends. I am also interested in a new fibre I discovered called metalised fibres.

No comments:

Post a Comment