Wednesday 9 May 2012

evaluation and translation of concept

Summary of assignment one concept

Critical evaluation:

Was my message clear in my concept board and design work?
I feel that my concept board was clear but perhaps I could have including more photographs of sewing machine mechanics and more images relating to the idea of transformation and humans morphing into machines. I feel I should have updated my concept board more than I did. I will have to remember to keep doing that during this project. I also need to have my concept board in front of me when I am designing because sometimes my designs would drift slightly away from the main concept. The idea of a human morphing into a machine, such as a sewing machine was portrayed well through the collection as a whole. The collection told a story with the first outfit being very human and the sixth outfit being a lot more abstract and mechanical, almost robotic. I think I could have developed the silhouette and the shape of the sewing machine into the designs a lot more. I focussed more on the idea of the sewing machine and the intricate little details found in it, rather than broader shapes and the structure of the machine as a whole. I would really like to put more focus on this for my refined collection.


What was I trying to say/express/represent?
The idea of the sewing machine as an interactive and personal tool while also being completely sterile and mechanical. This developed further into the idea of humans becoming one with machines such as sewing machines. I wanted to show a story and the idea of garments obviously morphing. 

Could I say this better?
I think that the story came together well but I wish that I had been better with my time management so I could have had more time to refine the collection further and focus more on silhouette and shape. I feel that I missed that, instead focussing only on details and embellishments, and therefore the collection may have appeared to look mechanical but not specific to a sewing machine.


What was important in my last collection?
Definitely the intricate detailing of each garment and how they relate to the sewing machine. I focussed on the small components such as collars and embellishments. They added complexity and interest to the designs and really made each garment come together well. The story and the order of the collection was also important. I would say that another big focus for me was the materials and relating to that the use of 1960s influences such as experimentation with metals and new fabrics.

What aspects do I want to expand on?
As stated above I would like to continue with the idea of the sewing machine and it morphing with a person, but instead of telling this through six garments seen together I want the customer to be able to see that idea in each outfit individually. I also want to expand upon the idea of using the sewing machine as an influencer of silhouette as I focussed on this a minimal amount during the first assignment, when  really it should have been a major consideration.

Is my design signature emerging?
From my perspective it is hard to tell. I just design what I know and like, and what ideas come to mind when I work on designs. I guess my garments so far have a focus on the details of a garment and getting them perfect. I like to think about the little things like the type of collar or embellishments because I know that they make a difference. In my last collection I put less importance on  silhouette which I probably should not have done. For this menswear collection so far my garments have a consistent silhouette that I like. Some parts of the garment are tight fitting, around the shoulder area, although the shoulders themselves are exaggerated, and from that the fabric flows down over the figure forming an A-line jacket. This silhouette is good for winter as you can layer it, and it also looks attractive on. I would also say that both collections showcase fabrics well, both new fabrics and new ways of dealing with old fabrics.

What is my signature?
For this collection -
• Black and grey
• Contrasting fabrics
• Quilting
• A-line jackets and outerwear
• Knee-length jackets
• Fitted pants
• Prints
• Rounded corner squares and rectangles
• Mechanical detailing
In general -
• Neutral colour palette
• Black
• Detailing
• Length

No comments:

Post a Comment